September 29, 2007

M22 June 2007 Redux


I was delighted to receive great advice from a few members of my club, the North Houston Astronomy Club. One, Paul Downing, downloaded my image from here, applied a Kernel low pass filter to the image and did some additional stretching. His result is posted here, with mine on the left and his on the right:


I was surprised that this image could be obtained from my data. I do not have the filter capability in the free software that I own (that I know of---I haven't explored all of its contours yet), but I realized that I have been using rather blunt instruments for stretching. Here is a better stretch obtained using DeepSkyStacker:



It looks much more like a globular cluster now. I am surprised that the data was there. Compared with a visual observation, this is pretty astonishing.

No comments: