December 12, 2007

December 12, 2007 Comets

The clouds broke last night for a few minutes between 12 and 1. Comet Holmes is still visible to the eye, even from my moderately light polluted street! It was more visible with averted vision, but it was plainly there, a ghostly glow about twice the diameter of the full moon. It is just southeast of Iota Persei, and forms a glowing corner of an isosceles triangle centered on Mirfak. The long side of the triangle runs between Delta Persei and the comet, which are both about the same apparent distance from Mirfak. I could see the comet a week ago at this time when the sky was last clear. This week I was sure it would be too faint, but there it is still!

Last week I tried to find Comet Tuttle, but nothing like a comet appeared in my XT8. Polaris is pretty low and through the trees here in my neighborhood, however, and the comet is not bright yet. Even a non-observation is an observation!

No comments: