January 8, 2008

End of Year Open Clusters

On December 31, I viewed M38, then M36, then M37! I recommend that order of observation. First, they are easier to find in that order. M38 is near a group of brighter stars just south of central Auriga. From there, one can pan east and a little south to M36 and then to M37. The sequence is also nice in that order because M37 is the grandest of the three! What a sight! I was observing with the XT8 through a 30mm, 80-degree eyepiece. At 40x, M37 fills just the middle portion of that view, and the stars in the cluster's center are tight enough together to seem a fuzzy background of light. Of course, all this fuzz disappeared at 240x, and the view was then filled with stars sprinkled across black!

I also found Lalande 21185 in Leo Minor. It is one of the nearest stars to us, and as a consequence has been well-studied. I had a good time reading about it after seeing it "up close."

No comments: