September 3, 2009

The Butterfly's Back: IC 1318 Near Gamma Cygni


Photon-deprived and eager to try out a couple of new ideas, I set up last night under the 97% full moon. I have heard that narrowband filters allow one to image during the full moon. I wanted to try it. Second, I wanted to match the ED80 with the WO 0.8x II reducer/flattener and the Atik 16. Third, I wanted to try using my 9x50 finder as a guidescope.

The third idea failed. I would have to move the camera inside the tube to reach focus. Perhaps I will have to do surgery on the finder tube. The other two goals were met. The WO reducer works beautifully with the ED80 and the Atik 16, as is proved by this image. Finally, this 58x240' image was taken under the 97% full moon through an Astronomik 13nm narrowband Ha filter. Processed in Nebulosity 1 (drizzled) and Photoshop Elements 7.

2 comments:

Rory said...

Wow! That is beautiful!

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Rory! Many thanks!