October 28, 2009

The Final Pacman, NGC 281

Here is the final for the moment, but I need to look at it for a few days.

The difference between the two is different processing in Registar. Before I combined the three sets in RGB then split them into channels only to re-combine them in Neb2 as LRGB=(Ha)HaGB. For this image, I turned auto-scaling in Registar off, then registered G and B to Ha, calibrated G and B to Ha, then saved the calibrated images. Then I went back to Neb2, aligned the Ha and calibrated G and B, saving each as separate files. Then I combined in LRGB synthesis using Ha as Lum and R, as before, then stretched and adjusted color and background until the stars began to look right. Finally, I opened in Photoshop Elements 7 for cropping, a little unsharp masking, and the application of Noel Carboni's action "Increase Star Color." I am happy with this image. It matches my data quite well.

Other details about the image can be found here.

Here is a false color version. In this rendition, Ha is blue, blue is red, and green is blue. I like it because the blue-white stars show gold against the background of the nebula. It's a nicer aesthetic effect.

No comments: