November 5, 2009

The Bubble in Ha (11-4-09)

This is a second shoot of the Ha data for the Bubble. The first attempt, three days ago, was slightly out of focus. It's pretty disappointing to realize that you've set up and collected four hours of out-of-focus data! Anyway, this is much better. The problem was that I purchased a filter wheel and placed it between the camera and the focal reducer along with some spacers. I took the manufacturer's word about how much spaced the wheel would add, and did not measure. With added threads and lock rings, I was actually about 10mm over! I'm surprised the earlier image came close enough to focus to fool me. Now this image is better. I am back to about 40mm between reducer and camera, just about right. The moon was over 90% full, and waning. (Thanks to Don Taylor for helpful comments on this image.)

Imaging Scope: Orion 80ED & WO 0.8x II (f/6)
Imager: Atik 16
Exposure: 45x5'
Filter: Astronomik Ha & NII
Capture Software: Nebulosity 2
Mount: Takahashi EM-10
Guiding Camera: DSI Pro
Guiding Software: PHD
Guiding Scope: 60mm f/4 hybrid
Date: Night of 11-4-09
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Processed with Nebulosity 2 & Photoshop Elements 7 (and a Carboni action for the false red)

2 comments:

Phil said...

Stunning! You're taking some great snaps, mate.

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Phil. Kind of you to say. I figure I have a long time to work at this, and it's fun trying.