December 19, 2009

NGC 1491 Narrowband

Here are two iterations of NGC 1491 in narrowband. The first is in Hubble Palette. The second is the other palette I prefer---Ha+L, Ha=C, OIII=M, and SII=Y. I like seeing the Ha as blue, and the yellow stars stand out well against it.

I learned something last night as I collected SII: Never shoot over a chimney. Silly, right? I was befuddled that the guide star was jumping this way and that. I checked my mount over with a flashlight three times. I was getting fuzzy images in the main camera. I realized this morning that I had the fire running inside so that I could warm my feet after checking the camera. The camera took a long time to check because so many things were going wrong because the fire was running! I couldn't figure out what was wrong (ok, it was almost 2 am). Now I realize I was ruining my images by keeping a warm fire waiting. Oh, well. The damaged SII information shows up in the image as a slight smearing of some of the stars in the direction the air currents were coming out of the chimney.

2 comments:

J-P Metsavainio said...

Beautiful work!
I shoot from the city center and I know the effects of the heat current.
We have now about -25c (-15F) and the whole city works as a gigant chimney.

Polaris B said...

Thank you very much! I'm lucky to have a much better turbulence profile to the north, east, and south. I've long admired your work and always thought it remarkable that you could produce it from the middle of the city. In fact, part of what I like about it is the superior resolution, even more remarkable considering. Bravo!