April 27, 2010

M92 (4-14-10)



M92 is a globular cluster about 26-27,000 light years away in the constellation Hercules. Visual observers often look first for the great globular M13 in that constellation, as it is brighter and larger (it is closer). M92 appears more compact to me, but it too, like all its cousins, is a stunning sight.

This is another shot with the SXVF-H9C and the AT8RC, taken just before the M39 image. This is 17x5'. Bias subtracted but not flats (if you stretch this image you will see the dust donuts; I don't have a rubber band large enough to tie a t-shirt around this scope yet). Like M39, this image too has a bit of collimation or guiding error; I'm not sure which. Compare this image with my last image of M92.

2 comments:

RoryG said...

Nice detail and color! You did a good job bringing out the detail of the core.

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Rory. I am still going to ask the group about the color, as I'm still trying to find my way with the OSC. Very much appreciate your kindly commenting.