November 1, 2010

NGC281 (10-29-2010): A Few Short Subs

This is just 4x300" with the AT8RC, 0.8x ff/fr, and the SXVF-H9C. The Pacman Nebula was high in the sky, and I wanted to test collimation, focus, exposure time, and tracking on something familiar. Generous noise reduction has been applied to the combined stack, and the image size has been reduced, also to decrease noise. The focal length is around 1300mm. There are still problems, as in the bottom left corner, but I am getting close. I think I know what I'm doing with collimation now, at least.

2 comments:

RoryG said...

I'm glad you're getting a handle on collimation. I still haven't figured out how to do it well visually, yet. I need to invest in a handy-dandy laser collimator.

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Rory. That's the ticket, actually. I found one that would give instant and solid feedback on the last part of the process. It's an invaluable gadget. I have no idea how to do it without the laser collimator.