December 1, 2010

Central California: NGC 1499 (11-30-2010)

This is the central and most interesting (to me) region of NGC 1499, sometimes called the California Nebula. In moderately deep images, the nebula takes on a shape something like that of the state of California. In deeper images, the shape is more like a scimitar (see, e.g., this image from Don Taylor). This much narrower view only shows the Bay Area, the darker cloud in the middle of the image. The bright nebulosity running from upper left to lower center is the coastline. In this relatively deep image, the nebulosity runs into the ocean and out past the edge of the image. The California Nebula is about 1,500 light years away, and is found in the constellation Perseus. It inhabits the same arm of the galaxy that we do.

This image is 13x8' with the Atik 16 through the Orion 120mm f/5 achromat and WO 0.8x II ff/fr and an Astronomik 12nm Ha filter.

4 comments:

RoryG said...

Seems we've been following each other around the galaxy lately. Nice image. I want to try that one again some day.

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Rory, but you got there first on each, so I'm actually following you. Will you tell me what your next goal is so that I can get ready? :-) Your choices have been excellent so far.

RoryG said...

My next major target is M78. I might also try for M29 before it gets too low. It's not a spectacular cluster, in my opinion, but I am curious to see how it looks against the background of the Milky Way. If I get really ambitious, I might try for the Crescent Nebula. All of this depends on weather and time, of course.

Polaris B said...

OK, good. I have M78 on my list, too. I tried the Crescent without an H-alpha filter, once, then again with the filter. With the filter, it was like I was cheating. It's a tough object without that little piece of glass. But if anyone can get it, you can, and your skies are much better than mine.