March 12, 2011

M51 (3-11-2011)

M51 is such a beauty, and so interesting. It's a favorite target for imagers. This is 105x150" with the 10" f/4.7 newt, Baader MPCC, IDAS-LPS-P2 filter, and SXVF-H9C camera. The subs were short both because they did not need to be any longer (the histogram was moved well off of the left side) and because I have not sorted out all the flex in this system and that's as long as they could be without using the off-axis guider. I still have not figured out how to make the OAG hold the weight of the camera, so I was using a guidescope. I threw out only three subs. This image is probably about what I can do from the burbs, at least in one night. I've taken a couple of images of this galaxy before, when I knew less of what I am doing.

2 comments:

RoryG said...

That is a great image, Val! I really like the color and detail.

Polaris B said...

Thank you, Rory. I've learned a lot in just the last few weeks about how to coax color out of what the SX camera gleans from my light-polluted skies. And also about the 10".