April 13, 2011

NGC 4565 (April 11, 2011)

This interesting galaxy is a popular target for imagers because we see it nearly edge-on. The roundish central bulge and the prominent dust lanes are interesting features, and the galaxy is relatively bright because we see it from the side---the combined light of stars across the galactic plane. NGC 4565 is between 34 and 72 million light years away. Several distance estimates cluster around 40 million light years. The galaxy is also the most prominent member of a small group of galaxies clustered in its area.  My favorite image of this galaxy is Stan Moore's, here; it was not taken from the city, as mine was.

Telescope: Orion 10" f/4.7 Newtonian
Camera & Exposure: SXVF-H9C, 35x10'
Coma Corrector: Baader RCC I
Filter: IDAS-LPS2
Guiding: Orion Deluxe OAG, Meade DSI Pro, PHD
Mount: Takahashi NJP
Software: Nebulosity, Maxim DL, Photoshop CS3
Location: The Woodlands, TX

4 comments:

RoryG said...

That is a beautiful image! I'm really impressed by the amount of detail that you were able to get out of the dust lanes.

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Rory.

RoryG said...

Even better!

Do you see a faint structure that runs from right above the bulge to the upper-right? It is extremely faint and slightly bluish. Is that a real structure, or an image artifact?

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Rory. I'll confess that I did not see anything like that there, but when I blew the image up and stretched some more I did find some blue artifacts under the bulge and running out to the right under the galaxy's arm. I've fixed them, I think. Does this look any better? I wish I could see this on everyone's monitor before posting it ;-).