May 1, 2011

Deep in the Lagoon Nebula, M8 (4-27-2011)

This is the most interesting part of the Lagoon Nebula, M8, in Sagittarius.  The Lagoon Nebula is a large cloud of mostly hydrogen located almost between us and the center of the Milky Way.  It probably lies between 2,700 and 6,000 lights years away.  The cloud shines with the light of ionized gas excited by the bright young stars that have formed out of the nebula itself.  I caught the scene above just as it came out of the trees and collected sub-exposures almost until the nebula moved behind the trees.

Telescope: Orion 10" f/4.7 Newtonian
Camera & Exposure: SXVF-H9C, 17x5'
Coma Corrector: Baader RCC I
Filter: IDAS-LPS2
Guiding: Orion Deluxe OAG, Meade DSI Pro, PHD
Mount: Takahashi NJP
Software: Nebulosity, Maxim DL, Photoshop CS3
Location: The Woodlands, TX

4 comments:

Phil said...

Outstanding work, mate! This is one of the best Lagoon shots I have seen. Well done.

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Phil! Kind of you to say so.

RoryG said...

I'm with Phil: this is one of the best Lagoon shots that I've seen! The depth of field is amazing, and so is the detail. You're doing some wonderful stuff with that new scope! You should submit this one to ATWB.

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Rory! I'll give it a try. I've stared at it so much that I see all its flaws. It's been fun, though, to see what this rather large tube and little camera can produce!