October 7, 2011

M76 (October 2, 2011)

This is M76.  It is a planetary nebula in the constellation Perseus.  It is colorful, with red emission from hydrogen and nitrogen and blue emission from oxygen.  It is a beauty!

Sometimes, everything works.  The night of October 2 was clear and cool.  The air was still.  I had taken my camera and off-axis guider apart and put them back together in a better way.  I had tightened everything down.  M76 is a fairly bright target.  What you see here is probably near the resolution limit of this scope and camera.  If I can, I would like to get another three or four hours on this lovely object and see if I can make the extended lobes brighter and more defined.

The image above is a wide field and will not be viewed at 100% if you click on it.  Here is a 100% view:


Telescope: Orion 10" f/4.7 Newtonian and Baader RCC1
Camera and Exposure: SXVF-H9C, 14x10'
Filter: IDAS-LPS2
Guiding: SX Lodestar and SX OAG
Mount: Takahashi NJP
Software: Nebulosity, Maxim DL, Photoshop CS3
Location: The Woodlands, TX

No comments: