July 15, 2009

M13, Again: First Light with the Vixen GP

This image is very promising. It is just 5x30", but it was taken with the XTi through the AT66ED, mounted on the Vixen GP mount I have owned for almost two years. I bought it on eBay. It came with the R135S, but it was a bare-bones model. I have added an RA motor and polar alignment scope, and a smaller counterweight. Each of the five 30" exposures was dead-on accurate at 320mm. The mount tracks very well at that focal length. That is what I was hoping. This system is extremely portable and easy to use. It requires no computer.

Tonight was also first light with the Bahtinov Mask I purchased for the AT66ED. Here is an image of Deneb in focus with the Mask on. Focusing took about five minutes, and it was extremely accurate.

No comments: