August 8, 2009

Andromeda Galaxy & Companions

As I finished the Squaw Peak run, I took one 60-second image of the Andromeda Galaxy. I fully intended to come back the next night and take more exposures of it, but the next night was full of family activities. The night after, someone was parked in my campground, at first. I drove on to Rock Canyon Campground, but it is pretty primitive, and I had no reservation. Plus, there are all kinds of bear warning signs. I had some food with me this time, and I figured I was much better bait than the first night. So I drove back to Provo Canyon road and up the canyon to the Alpine Loop. This road loops past Sundance ski resort, the Aspen Grove conference facility, a Mt. Timpanogos trailhead, and Mt. Timpanogos itself to the town of Alpine. I stopped in the parking lot of the trailhead and set up. Unfortunately, I did not know my GP mount well enough yet, and when the gears started slipping, I did not know what to do. I was pretty tired, and not thinking clearly. I discovered that I did not have the right tools to open the drive cover and see what was going on. So when the gears slipped there was not much I could do. The result is that this M31 is the combination of a mere seven minutes of 60-second exposures, one from Squaw Peak and six from the east side of Timpanogos. I think it's pretty good for a mere seven minutes, but I look forward to taking a better, deeper image soon! This image was taken with the Canon Xti through the AT66ED, unguided on the Vixen GP. It was processed with Nebulosity 1 and Photoshop Elements 7.

No comments: