August 16, 2009

NGC 7331 & Companions

I woke up to check the final images on the Crescent Nebula set and found the sky temporarily clouded over. When the sky cleared five minutes later, the Crescent was slipping into the trees. The constellation Pegasus, however, was just overhead! I had observed NGC 7331 before with an 8" dobsonion, but I have always wanted an image of it. "Well, the sky is still dark! Why not tonight?" NGC 7331 is 50 million light years away. The galaxies surrounding it (which I had never seen before) are probably ten times further, or 500 million light years away. See other very nice, color images of all of them here and here.

This set of images, 45x2', began at 4:10 a.m. It was processed in Nebulosity 1 and Photoshop Elements 7. It could use more processing, but I do not own the software for more, yet.

2 comments:

Phil said...

Great images lately, mate. I like that Vixen scope you are using.

More importantly, why are you getting all the clear skies over there? Same some for me! We've had horrid skies for weeks (but, naturally, beautifully clear during the day...) May need to move to Houston...

Cheers,
Phil

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Phil. The Vixen was not designed exactly for ccd work, but its optics are very good, and I'm learning with it.

On the skies thing, absolutely, move to Houston! We can offer you 50 inches of rain and average humidity in the high 90s! Wishing it was always clear at night ....