March 3, 2010

NGC 2419 (3-2-10)

This globular cluster is so distant from the Milky Way that it was once thought to be unconnected to any galaxy. But it is bound to ours after all. NGC 2419 is about 300,000 light years away, not nearly as far as Palomar 4 at 360,000. The furthest globular out that we know of is AM 1, which is nearly 400,000 light years away. NGC 2419 is the 5th most distant from the sun. Source.

NGC 2419 is close enough and large enough to look like a globular through my little scope and camera, however. My little scope goes pretty deep, actually. Here is the same image blown up:
And here is the blown-up image labeled with a few magnitude numbers:
As you can see (well, you might have to turn the lights off to see some of those little stars), my little image actually shows many stars from the cluster. I have determined that the dimmest individual star I can pinpoint in my image is magnitude 19. Of course, some very dim stars register differently in my equipment than in the survey used for magnitude measurements found at Sky-Map.org. And it's possible that a variable star was brighter on the night I took my image. Still, mag 18 stars aren't bad for two hours with an 80mm scope from the suburbs and the 90% full moon rising roughly 90 degrees away. A good comparison image (and the best image I know of NGC 2419) is here. Also worthy of mention (prettier but smaller).

The slightly odd star shapes in the image are caused by flex in the optical path. I have found the problem now, I believe.

Imaging Scope: TMB80CF (80/504)
Imager: Atik 16
Exposure: 36x200" (the top image) & 26x200" (the enlargements)
Filter(s): Astrodon Gen II L
Capture Software: Nebulosity 2
Mount: Takahashi EM-10
Guiding Camera: DSI Pro
Guiding Software: PHD
Guiding Scope: AT66ED
Date: March 2, 2010
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Processed with Nebulosity 2, Maxim DL, & PSCS3

2 comments:

Phil said...

G'day Val,

SO I am tackling the Caldwell Catalog right now, using my 12" Lightbridge and star maps only. No GOTO! Anyway, this globular is on the list (aka Caldwell 25) so Id ecided to hunt it down on Friday night. Jeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz very hard to find manually! Took me an hour, and that was under very dark central Texas skies.

It looked just as you captured it.

Nice job.

Cheers,
Phil

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Phil. I'm going back to it again sometimes and get better star shapes and go deeper. It's a fascinating object, one I'd like to get in a better, deeper, and bigger image.