October 3, 2011

Iris Nebula & M1: Promising But Need More Time (September 24, 2011)

These two images are beginnings.  At the observatory last week, one friend suggested I image the Iris.  I took several frames.  The air was turbulent and guiding was difficult.  I decided to switch over to the Helix Nebula.  After the Helix set, another friend suggested M1, which was rising above Orion in the constellation Taurus.  Both of these objects, the Iris and M1, could use several more hours exposure, but these images are promising.  This is my first observation of the Iris and my second of M1.  I would have taken more subs of M1 but my light-pollution filter dewed up (just about my only optical surface in danger from dew).

The Iris Nebula:

Telescope: Orion 10" f/4.7 Newtonian and Baader RCC1
Camera and Exposure: SXVF-H9C, 5x10'
Filter: IDAS-LPS2
Guiding: SX Lodestar and SX OAG
Mount: Takahashi NJP
Software: Nebulosity, Maxim DL, Photoshop CS3
Location: SHSU Observatory, Huntsville, TX

And M1, sometimes called the Crab Nebula:

Telescope: Orion 10" f/4.7 Newtonian and Baader RCC1
Camera and Exposure: SXVF-H9C, 2x10'
Filter: IDAS-LPS2
Guiding: SX Lodestar and SX OAG
Mount: Takahashi NJP
Software: Nebulosity, Maxim DL, Photoshop CS3
Location: SHSU Observatory, Huntsville, TX

2 comments:

RoryG said...

Man, that Iris nebula is stunning! Eerie! The diffraction spikes on the star are a nice touch. This is one of my favorite images of it!

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Rory! This object is one that would be great imaged with the Tak at the observatory and your DSLR. Not much hydrogen emission here. Mostly just reflection of starlight on dust. And you'd have just the field of view with that wider angle. I think it's eerie, too. I'm not sure what to think of it. It looks like a star in a paper bag, kind of.