December 3, 2011

M45, Pleiades, (Six of) Seven Sisters, Subaru (Nov. 27 & 28, 2011)

This cluster is about 440 light years away in the constellation Taurus.  You can see at least six (some see more) of the stars with your eyes, without optical aid.  It's a cluster I always look for when I go out.  What the eyes do not show is the nebulosity.  The young cluster is passing through a cloud of gas and dust, and the light from the bright, blue-white stars is reflected back toward us.

Thanks to Dick Locke for processing suggestions.  Here is another rendition of the same data:

Telescope: Stellarvue SV80ED NHNG f/7 w/WO ff/fr 0.8 II (so effectively at f/5.6)
Camera and Exposure: SXVF-H9C, 69x10'
Filter: IDAS-LPS2
Guiding: Borg 50mm, Meade DSI Pro, PHD
Mount: Takahashi NJP
Software: Nebulosity, Maxim DL, Photoshop CS3
Location: The Woodlands, TX

4 comments:

RoryG said...

Wow! I wish I could get images that nice! It looks good on my monitor, BTW.

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Rory. I'm just trying to process it as you would! Val

Phil said...

Terrific! Look at the cool nebulosity captured here. Very nicely done mate!

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Phil! Wish I had your larger field of view. Val