October 10, 2014

Initial Spectra, Vega and Mu Cephei (October 4, 2014)

[Click on picture for larger view.]
I acquired a Star Analyzer 100 grating to try spectroscopy.  Here are my first results.  These are just raw data from the camera; I have not calibrated for instrument response.  But you can see the hydrogen Balmer absorption lines are visible in Vega, an A-type star.  Furthermore, the blue end of the spectrum is lit up.  

Mu Cephei, a type M2 Ia star (probably, but classed as M1 or other kind of M2, also), is known for its red color, and the spectrum bears that out.  Titanium oxide lines dominate.  These stars are very different, and the difference is obvious in their low-resolution spectra.  Rather than identify lines in the spectrum of Mu Cephei, I have displayed a reference spectrum for a type M2 I star, which Mu Cephei is.  My little camera is obviously catching the major features.  That's pretty exciting to see.

The brightness of the bar at 0 means nothing.  Vega is dimmer only because of an accident of processing.

Telescope: Astro-Tech AT111EDT (at f/7)
Camera and Exposure: SXVF-H9
Filter: Star Analyzer 100 grating
Guiding: SX Lodestar and SX OAG
Mount: Takahashi NJP
Software: Nebulosity, Maxim DL, RSpec, Photoshop CS3
Location: The Woodlands, TX

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Val! It's Duane - I met you last night at the kids event there in the Woodlands - I thoroughly enjoyed talking to you guys, so thank you for sharing your knowledge!

What do you use to capture spectra? The RSPEC filter, or an actual high-dollar spectrometer?
Thanks again - I'll be back to keep an eye on this blog!
-Duane

Unknown said...

Just read it - RSPEC must be the way to go!