July 18, 2009

M13, M27, and Autoguiding



How many images of M13 can a fellow need, really? These two images, and especially M13, were taken through soupy skies. I was out not to image but to test autoguiding. I just received the mount back from Texas Nautical Repair. It seems my mount's failing to respond to dec commands actually signaled a problem. With the new dec drive in place, here are the results. The image of M27 is particularly detailed, I think, for a full-spectrum monochrome image. I kept all but 8 of 75 2-minute subs.

4 comments:

Rory said...

Beautiful images! I can't even see any "soup" in the M13 image, and it's barely noticeable in the M27 image. I particularly like the detail of M27.

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Rory! I think I am getting the hang of autoguiding a bit. I was out last night again changing a little here and there to see if I could make it better. The autoguiding makes a huge difference. If I can get this working correctly and consistently, so that I understand what I am doing, perhaps I'll try adding color. Thanks for looking!

Phil said...

Nice M27 shot!!!!

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Phil. The potatoes moved momentarily, and the soup cleared!