August 23, 2009

M27 Again---First Light with the ED80


OK, I know I've got to move on to another subject, but I bought a new (used) Orion ED80 and wanted to put the AT66ED on top as a guider and try out this combination. The AT66 worked beautifully, of course. I wish it were not so heavy. The ED80 has very fine optics. When combined with the WO 0.8 II focal reducer, stars were flat over the middle 70% of the Canon XTi frame. The distortions around the 15% edges were quite minor. It would be possible to use the entire frame for some objects, I think. Anyway, this is not a great shot. I was tired about 11:30 when I began the 2 hour set (60x2') and accidentally changed a camera setting so that the entire imaging session was saved in jpeg instead of RAW. That removed some of what I would have been able to develop later. Also, the sky was covered with haze. I was almost shooting through a cloud, something I wish I could actually do. I would have taken the setup apart and gone to sleep had I not wanted to see first light with the new scope. So I have this nice color in a shallow image, and a deep image from last month in monochrome. Perhaps it's time to add color to the Atik 16 images.

2 comments:

Rory said...

That's a nice image, Val, regardless of the various issues that you faced. Are you going to try it again on a clearer night? I can't wait to see what it will look like!

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Rory. I also tried to collect some M33 subs, but nothing came out that would leave me with an image as nice as yours that night! I'm not sure what to do next with M27. I've now taken it in monochrome and with a DSLR. I keep thinking how nice the image would be if I ran filters (which I do not yet own) with the ccd camera, and that thought is making me think further DSLR work on it would be anticlimactic, especially given this shallow (albeit atypical) result. Also, I'm anxious to see what else I can get in Cygnus with the Ha filter before the swan disappears over the trees here in the backyard. Oh, the opportunities!