September 28, 2013

NGC 7635, the Bubble Nebula (Sept. 24, 2013)


OK, I've shot this before, but I needed a target after M27 set and before my next target came up.  Here it is.  This is the Bubble Nebula, or NGC 7635, in Cassiopeia.  It is a strange and wonderful object.  A very large, bright star is blasting the bubble out of a cloud of gas.  The star sits in what appears to be the upper right of the bubble.  Just below it is a knot of gas that the star is slowly blowing away with ultraviolet radiation.  The head of the knot glows like a star because it absorbs so much energy.  All the glowing gas you see here is ionized hydrogen and nitrogen, as the filter I used catches only those two.  The gas is glowing from radiation emanating from the same star.  It's such a dramatic scene!

Telescope: Astro-Tech AT111EDT and William Optics AFR-IV (eff. at f/5.6)
Camera and Exposure: SXVF-H9 (Ha-NII: 7x1200"), Alnitak Flat-man flats
Filter: Astronomik Ha-NII
Guiding: SX Lodestar and SX OAG
Mount: Takahashi NJP
Software: Nebulosity, Maxim DL, Photoshop CS3
Location: The Woodlands, TX

2 comments:

RoryG said...

Very nice detail! I think I get a sense of the shape in 3-D.

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Rory. This is such an amazing field, one of those that keeps me coming back again and again to astronomy.