January 8, 2008

Deep Sky Standby Survey

The Deep Sky Standby Survey, conducted right here at Polaris B, has closed. Many thanks to the 11 participants!

The question: What deep sky objects do you always look at if they are up?

The winner? Seventy-two percent of you always look for M42, M31 & its companions, and M45 (the Pleiades).

Next, 63% of you (myself included) always view the Double Cluster.

M57 attracts 54% of you when it is up, as does Polaris (which I usually split, but it is also a great place to collimate a Dob, because it does not move).

Forty-five percent view Omega Centauri, Albireo, M22, M13, M51, and M8.

Thirty-six percent view M16, M17, and M27 when they are up.

Everything else on the list received a vote or two or three: M6, M7, M33, M81&82, M97, M101, M104, the Horsehead & Flame (I look for these all the time and never see them (from suburbia)), the Veil, the Helix, the Cat's Eye, and some "other." There were no comments, so I don't know what this "other" is, but after I put up the poll, I realized I'd forgotten Mizar and Alcor, Gamma Leonis, Rigel, Sigma Orionis, and a host of other great double stars that I look for all the time. Perhaps a poll just for doubles later!

Thanks for participating. I am going to look for some of these more often and remember what we like to see most next time I think of what to show the public at an outreach.

No comments: