May 21, 2009

M13 (5-19-09)

On the night of the 19th, after I had finished collecting images of M109 and M63, I turned the scope on M13 and then began processing M109. I figured I just as well collect images of something as long as I am out. This is the result. Compare M13 to M3 taken just a few days before. M13 appears to have more stars and is larger. Actually, I can see M13 clearly in my 6x30 finder scope. It's a showpiece of the northern sky and something I often find when I am out and it is up.

This images is just 46x30" with the Atik 16 through the Vixen R135S, unguided on the Tak EM-10, processed in Nebulosity and PS Elements 7.

This image, notwithstanding its casual creation, sure beats the one I took two years ago of the same cluster:

2 comments:

Rory said...

That's a beautiful image! I wish my best image of M13 was as good as the one you took two years ago. I'd be happy with that one!

Polaris B said...

Thanks, Rory. Actually, I was thrilled with the first image! Now I'm thrilled with the second. I'm always surprised and delighted when anything recognizable comes up on the computer screen!