February 27, 2021

Schiller Area (Feb. 2021)

Conditions were very good on the night of Feb. 23 to take some images of the waxing moon.  I am a very casual lunar imager; my strategy is to set up, cool the scope off, and take a picture of anything interesting close to the terminator.  Also, solar system imaging is no specialty of mine; I'm pretty new at it.  But I enjoy observing the sky, and it's nice to do some visual observing, too, after imaging.

Schiller is an odd crater because whatever smacked the moon did it at an angle.  The crater is stretched out, and the floor peaks are all at one end.  Apparently Schiller is 112 miles long and 13,000 deep from bottom of the floor to the top of the peaks (but no ruler was used in this measurement).

This image is a stack of 2002/2002 images taken with the QHY5iii485c camera through the CFF 290 Classical Cassegrain at f/13.5, native focal length.  I just did the basic AutoStakkert, Registax, Photoshop routine.  I also used Canon Digital Prof'l 4.

No comments: